FEA Research Symposium 2019
Pictures of the event can be found here
Proceedings can be viewed here
Are you curious about what kind of research is done at the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture? Register for and attend the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture Research Symposium (FEARS) on the 19th February 2019 at the iGent Tower, completely free of charge. During this day, you will have the opportunity to learn new skills, to present your research and listen to established experts. The symposium revolves around two central themes:
The next step in your career
- Are you a master student and are you interested in a PhD?
- Are you already a PhD student and want to showcase your first results?
- Or are you a postdoc looking to apply your research either in a spin off or grants?
What is the impact of your research?
How does the hard work of our research impact the academic world, the industry, and society as a whole?
- A panel composed of experts (see here) from inside and outside academia will give their insights and perspective on how to increase the impact of our research
- Keynote by Marc Lambotte, CEO of Agoria, the federation of technological industry in Belgium gives his view on how research can benefit the industry he represents. An abstract of his talk is found here
Are you a Master's Student?
Are you thinking about doing a PhD next year? Professor Marie-Françoise Reyniers will talk about the life of a PhD student and who knows, (for the lucky few) the life of a professor? Attend afterwards the Q&A session with junior PhD students and get an answer to all your questions.
Do you already have incredible findings in your master thesis? Don't hesitate and present this on a poster (more info here).
Are you a Researcher?
This event encourages researchers to get out of their dimly lit offices to present their research, communicate with other researchers, and gain practical and transferable skills in the workshops.
Communicate your research
Posters: Win one of the poster award
During the poster session researchers are encouraged to present their work in an accessible way to fellow FEA researchers. Two posters will be chosen by a professional jury and receive an award! More info here
Pitch: From Desk to Stage: Win the FEA pitch cup!
Would you rather go on stage and pitch your research in 3 minutes? The best pitches as selected by the audience will present their work in the finale in a more comprehensive 10 minutes. The best 10 minute talk will win the 'FEA pitch of the year' award! Attending the pitch can count towards a Doctoral Schools credit. More info here
Expand your skills in one of the workshops. The workshops are divided in the following themes:
- Soft skills: Did you know that too much sitting is as unhealthy as not moving at all? Do you want to learn the skill of visual note-taking?
- Practical skills: How to solve problems in a creative manner? Always wanted to know how prototyping is done? How will AI shape our future?
- Career skills: What after a PhD?
Find the workshops here.